What are your favorite Bible versions/translations?

Mitchell
Mitchell Posts: 668
edited January 2018 in Ministry Methods

What is your favorite Bible version / translation?
(Or What are your favorite Bible versions /Translations?)
And why?

Comments

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

ESV/NASB/NKJV/NIV/KJV in that order.

ESV: Accurate essentially literal translation with modern language but with a flare of KJVesqueness.

NASB: One of the most literal translations available.

NKJV: Modern KJV

NIV: Easy to understand

KJV: It's a classic and a goodie.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I'm using the NET for my yearly read through and see a lot I missed using KJV in years past. I'm hoping to use one of the other newer translations next year (Lord willing). But I use the KJV for any critical comparison of texts.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

KJV/ESV/NKJV/NASB/NIV....multiple others including foreign languages. In that order.

I cut my teeth on KJV, so it feels most natural. I preach in other countries and as far as I am able I want to know how their Bible reads so I say things familiarly. I end up going back to Gk and Heb in my limited way to be sure I don't get off track too far.

• dct112685

@GaoLu said:
    KJV/ESV/NKJV/NASB/NIV....multiple others including foreign languages. In that order.

I cut my teeth on KJV, so it feels most natural. I preach in other countries and as far as I am able I want to know how their Bible reads so I say things familiarly. I end up going back to Gk and Heb in my limited way to be sure I don't get off track too far.

Interestingly enough, I went on a missions trip to South Africa and we were told ahead of time to not bring our KJV Bibles and to never mention that translation because you will immediately lose the ear of anyone in the room because of their history with Britain.

Just thought I'd share.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

@davidtaylorjr said:

@GaoLu said:

Interestingly enough, I went on a missions trip to South Africa and we were told ahead of time to not bring our KJV Bibles and to never mention that translation because you will immediately lose the ear of anyone in the room because of their history with Britain.

Just thought I'd share.

I think that is true in some circles. What I have also found is that many translations made up through mid-1900's were TR based. This KJV fits better so that parts are not missing that they expect--and thus they do not trust me. For preaching, I sometimes use NKJV for more translatable readings. What I usually do is have the people read if most are literate or someone who is.

I also use the ERV to prepare simplified ways of saying things--depending on the skill of the translator.

Creativity is key!

I have been asked a few times by folks back in America with a skeptical look: "Do they use the KJV?" I try not to giggle. Sometimes I say they don't speak English and they have their own version. Sometimes I can honestly say that their version it is sort of like the KJV--which softens the matter for those KJV-only-ers.

• dct112685

@GaoLu said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@GaoLu said:

Just thought I'd share.

I think that is true in some circles. What I have also found is that many translations made up through mid-1900's were TR based. This KJV fits better so that parts are not missing that they expect--and thus they do not trust me. For preaching, I sometimes use NKJV for more translatable readings. What I usually do is have the people read if most are literate or someone who is.

I also use the ERV to prepare simplified ways of saying things--depending on the skill of the translator.

Creativity is key!

I have been asked a few times by folks back in America with a skeptical look: "Do they use the KJV?" I try not to giggle. Sometimes I say they don't speak English and they have their own version. Sometimes I can honestly say that their version it is sort of like the KJV--which softens the matter for those KJV-only-ers.

KJV only is a whole different animal altogether ;)